Unveiling the Past: Historical Jewellery and its 3D Reconstruction
Speaker: Cadia Romano, Hosted by McNeel Europe
September 14th, 2023 4:00 PM CEST
During this webinar, Cadia Romano will explain the process she followed to reconstruct a historical crown that belonged to Charles III of Borbon and that was lost during a shipwreck in the 18th century.
“To carry out the design of the Crown“, Cadia explains, “we started from the study of some documents found, including the original sketch of the goldsmith to whom the crown was commissioned. The study and comparison of sketch with description and iconographic references that we find in pictorial works of the period, led us to a series of hypotheses of visual representation. We began the design using Rhinoceros software, which allowed us to experiment with the various initial ideas, going on to develop different surfaces and volumetries.“
In this webinar, Claudia will share the workplan she followed for this challenging project, phase by phase:
- The origin of the idea to reproduce the Crown and the iconographic sources used for that.
- The use of Rhino to develop the volumetry of the crown.
- The importance of faithfully recreating all decorative elements and ensuring their accuracy.
- The placement of over 200 stones, along with the design of bezels and interlocking mechanisms.
- The segmentation of the crown into 72 pieces to optimise space, facilitated by a reference pattern.
- The creation of lightweight elements to minimise the overall weight.
- An overview of the materials used and the different phases of printing, casting, and testing of the elements.
About the speaker:
Cadia Romano, a passionate jewellery enthusiast, began her studies in Florence at the LAO school at the age of 16. She specialized in Goldsmithing at Il Tarì and IL PERSEO in Italy, as well as El taller de Joyeria in Barcelona and Central Saint Martin in London, graduating from the University of Florence in 2010 in ‘Culture of Fashion and Style’ Goldsmithing section. Cadia expanded her skills in sacred jewellery design (thanks to Paolo Penko) and sexual jewellery (thanks to the start-up The Precious Lust) goldsmithing, enameling, engraving, lost wax, and more.
Joining the esteemed Bvlgari High Jewellery workshop, Cadia spent seven years crafting exquisite pieces while refining her expertise in 3D design and printing. Today, she works as a freelance designer and shares her knowledge as a lecturer at the Accademia Italiana University in Rome.