This course covers the essential skills needed for 3D Footwear design. You will learn how to develop all the parts using Rhino and Grasshopper. This process includes using the right topology for each shoe component in the most efficient way, and defining the best strategies to model all the parts and components. By the end of the course, you will know how to manage and visualise your footwear design, and how to prepare fabrication files for prototyping.
René Medel, an industrial designer specialising in footwear design, tutors the course. He is part of the framas Group innovation team, a German manufacturer of high-performance plastic components for the footwear industry.
- Introduction to Footwear Design in Rhino Topologies. NURBS vs. Mesh vs. SubD Shoe creation (NURBS vs. SubD)
- From scratch
- Reverse Engineering from a Scan (Mesh)
- QuadRemeshing to SubD
- Low-Poly SubD Pulling
- Measuring (Rhino + Grasshopper)
- Modifications: Toe Shapes and spring + Heel Lift
- Footbed creation
- Lattice Structures
- SubD tools: Bridge, Perforation, Edging (Rhino + Grasshopper)
- SubD Multipipe (Rhino + Grasshopper)
- Heel Counters
- Upper Design + Flattening
- Lacing & Closure
- Logos & Lettering
- PBR Materials
- Rendering in Rhino
- Exporting for Augmented Reality (AR)
- Gravity Sketch Importing
- Exporting to 3D Printing (ShrinkWrap WIP)
- Plugins suggestions (Rhino + Grasshopper)
Rhino Intermediate Level, Grasshopper Basic Level, Footwear Design Basic Level
Online course fee:
EUR 395- (+VAT); full-time students and university teachers get a 50% discount (proof of status required). Please note that we will confirm your seat after your payment has cleared.
Max. number of participants:
25. If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled two weeks before.
Course language: English